I went to our local nature preserve so that my money would be used toward a non-profit organization. I asked the naturalist for help with a feeder that will be squirrel proof, and benefit the greatest variety of birds.
He pointed me toward this:
Droll Yankees Jagunda Bird Feeder - Model JG
I see, however, that I actually got a good price. And made a donation to the nature preserve. :)
It took almost exactly 24 hours for the birds to appear. And they appeared in great waves! What fun to watch from our 10 foot wide picture window while species we never knew check out the feast!
This cardinal is defending his new found territory from some English sparrows. Good. Sparrows are the vermin of the bird world. Only starlings are worse.
Here is our new friend in the old silver maple outside the window.
And enjoying some black oil sunflower seeds out of the mix. I like to use a mix because whatever gets kicked out on the ground will keep the ground feeders happy. The more sparrows feed on the ground, the less they crowd the feeder. I plan to get some cracked corn to throw on the ground around the maple tree for the sparrows, doves and squirrels. Not so much to be nice, but rather to distract them from their attraction to the manna from above!This morning, Big Sis got up early to see the sunrise. She was also pleasantly surprised to see a show at our picture window. She recorded the following notes:
BIRD WATCHING
4 DEC 09
1. There are 7 cardinals, 4 doves and 1 titmouse.
2. School bus goes by and scares of cardinals.
3. 2 cardinals and titmouse come back.
4. 2nd titmouse comes, we now have 2 titmice.
5. Across the street Bella goes potty.
6. 2 doves fly away, 2 doves (Huckleberry and Tom) and a titmouse (Mouse) left.
7. Mouse leaves when Kish comes.
8. A white leaf “hops” across the sidewalk.
9. Kish tries to catch a bird, and catches my pencil instead.
10. Kish says “love me play with me... no wait I am going to catch a bird!
11. While this is going on Tom and Huck leave.
The end
BIRD WATCHING
4 DEC 09
1. There are 7 cardinals, 4 doves and 1 titmouse.
2. School bus goes by and scares of cardinals.
3. 2 cardinals and titmouse come back.
4. 2nd titmouse comes, we now have 2 titmice.
5. Across the street Bella goes potty.
6. 2 doves fly away, 2 doves (Huckleberry and Tom) and a titmouse (Mouse) left.
7. Mouse leaves when Kish comes.
8. A white leaf “hops” across the sidewalk.
9. Kish tries to catch a bird, and catches my pencil instead.
10. Kish says “love me play with me... no wait I am going to catch a bird!
11. While this is going on Tom and Huck leave.
The end
No comments:
Post a Comment