But today, I put everything on our lady bug tray that I picked up for Big Sis's third birthday, many years ago.
Today's monkey platter has some fun foods:
(This tray pictured above has been half eaten. I would like to point out that the children did NOT go straight for the sweets. They have total choice over what and how much they eat, and in what order. Sometimes people fear that kids will only eat the 'sweets' and refuse the rest. This has simply never happened, even though my kids have a fierce sweet-tooth.)
mini bagels with cream cheese
boiled eggs, salted and cut into quarters
mini marshmallows
fresh whole strawberries
baby carrots
chocolate chips
walnuts
triscuit whole wheat crackers
baby mozzerella
colby-jack cheese cubes
We all ate the monkey platter sitting on the floor in the living room. I placed the tray on a small side table and we munched. For some reason, the kids enjoyed mixing foods together to try the 'new' taste. For example, walnuts and chocolate chips were a big hit. So were mini-marshmallows and fresh strawberries. (That was my favorite!) Big Sis designed a "Winter Egg" which was an egg white with white mini-marshmallows. Not my style but both kids loved it. Baby mozzerella with strawberries was nice, along with colby-jack cheese and carrots together. Little Brother particuarly enjoyed putting things inside his bagel, such as chocolate chips and strawberries.
Its funny how sometimes I have to go to great lengths to NOT mix up food with Little Brother because he is so sensitive to taste and texture. But today, he was willing to mix his own.
I love this kind of lunch- both the food and the time spent together. We forgot to say a prayer at the begining of our meal so half way through we said our traditional meal-time-in-progress prayer:
Bless us O Lord, for these Thy gifts,
which we are currently receiving
from Thy bounty!
Amen!


No comments:
Post a Comment