Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Take Me Home....Country Road....

This fall, the kids and I are taking a road trip. We have two goals. One to attend an unschooling camp in the mountains of Tennessee, and two, to see our ancestral cabin near Abingdon, Virginia.

More on the unschooling camp later. For now, enjoy a picture of the cabin taken 20 years ago. The cabin itself dates back to 1750. The McCullough family built it before the Revolutionary War. Parts of the cabin have been replaced and added onto. But the original stone fireplace and much of the hewn logs are still in place under the clapboards and new tin roof.

I cant wait to see it again. And I cant wait for my kids to see it. I had no idea what a thrill it must have been for my father to show the cabin to me and my sisters. Now I get it. It seems SO important for my kids to see where their ancestors settled after coming in to this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment