Monday, November 8, 2010

Dinner

I never cook the same thing twice. Even when I follow a recipe, which is rare, it gets switched up somehow. This is a good thing as I am not a creature of habit, and I enjoy spontaneous cooking adventures!



 Matzo ball soup is a regular in our household. But it may be a little different from time to time. I make it with what I have on hand. So today, I had about two ounces of chicken thigh in a cup of homemade broth and drippings. I saved that from last night's meal, knowing it would make a good start to soup. I sauteed up some leeks I had left from our last organic farm vegie box of the season, and shredded one big carrot into the softened leeks. Throw in the left over chicken and drippings, and two cans of chicken broth. Some S&P, cumin, of course, a cup of corn and peas, a crushed clove of garlic, and we have a killer broth for the matzo balls to swim in!


I have been having a hard time finding Manichewitz Mazto Ball Mix lately. So I bought the crackers instead. After whirring them in the coffee grinder, they are a perfect powder. Into that goes olive oil, eggs, fresh chopped parsely, and a little garlic powder. Chill it in the fridge for 15 minutes and then boil up those balls! I boil mine in fresh, clean water and then add the cooked balls to the broth. If they are boiled in chicken broth, they seem too salty and rich. I have always made them this way and always get compliments on my fluffy, nice matzo balls! :D


I was lucky today, and picked up some treats at a middle eastern food shop. A big jar of tahini, fresh parsley, chickpeas, and some good Lebanese flat bread from Chi-town. I will make some hummus, trying a scoop of white beans to the chickpeas, and of course the fresh parsley is SO nice in the matzo balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment