Monday, December 13, 2010

The Final Product

"Now can we eat it?!"
No sooner was this gingerbread house assembled than the kids were already asking to eat it! The frosting wasnt even dry! I guess I had forgotten how irresistable candy and cookies are, even when they are the quality of cardboard and super-glue jawbreakers. It just looks so magical in the eyes of a child!

If I think back, I can remember how totally-freakin'-amazing- aMAZing it was to think about a little house made of candy. That was REAL TREASURE! Oh, man! As an adult, I look at that made-to-store-well crappy candy and want to pitch it. But as a kid, the candy would have been so special. Like diamonds and gold coins just laying there for the taking!

I thought the gingerbread house would sit around until Christmas, at which point I would throw the nasty thing away. But I can see now that it will be eaten by then. Its not worth the argument over food quality. I know its made of the worst stuff, with preservatives and probably wood pulp. I sampled the frosting, which tasted strongly of glue and corn starch. But I dont think the kids taste the gingerbread house when they nibble at it. All they taste is rainbow colored dreams in gumball form; rich heart-filled goodness in each stale cookie bite; warmth and wonder in frosted, frozen icing icicles! This truly is magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment