Monday, January 24, 2011

Spicey!


I love flavor and intensity in my food. Otherwise I find myself scrounging for something more statisfying. A friend has introduced me to the world of Indian cooking recently, and I find myself using these wonderful flavors in non-Indian foods.

Soup of any kind benefits from fresh cumin seeds, toasted along with black mustard grains. The mustard is not hot at all, but adds a nice flavor and an irresistable texture. I love popping toasted mustard seeds in my teeth while eating soup. Cumin is pretty standard, but using fresh seeds, instead of the powder makes a huge difference.

Chicken noodle soup with toasted cumin and mustard seeds.

From top left, clockwise: Garam Masala, Black Mustard Seed, Tumeric, Cumin Seed

From top: Grape Seed Oil, Olive Oil, Butter
I also really enjoy experimenting with the flavors of different oils. Since I recently had my cholesterol checked and OK'ed, I must be doing something right. Generally, I use olive oil and butter as a northern Italian standard for almost everything. But recently, my mom gifted me a large bottle of grape seed oil. Wow! Its very clear and clean tasting and completely changes the flavor of my standard recipes. Everything tastes fresher and cleaner with the grape seed oil, plus there are innumerable health benefits. I am enjoying the switch up.

Sometimes, I want the warm, heavy yellow flavor of olive oil in my food. And other days a lighter flavor is nice. Working with different oils and spices has been very rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment