Monday, November 28, 2011

Advent Decorations

A new calendar and some new candle holders.

Each day of the Liturgical Advent has a suggestion.  
November 27th to December 25th this year! The longest possible Advent.

Christmas Day features a picture of Mary and Joseph's wedding on the front.
This is the image inside the "Christmas Card" at the end of the Advent calendar.
Swaddling clothes and the manger are to represent Christ's death and resurrection, even at his birth.
This icon portrays the idea quite well!

Each day is numbered with the date of the month. That means that next Advent,
when there are fewer days, I can simply remove the dates in November tat don't apply.

Simply fold each card with the daily suggestion on the inside.
Glue a date to the front. Punch two holes in the crease and string them up.


Paper mache' candle holders. So pretty, I think we will use these instead of Advent candles. 

Cut out the colors you like, and apply with liberal amounts of glue/water mix.
Paint under and over each application for that awesome look.

We used the jars we had in the recycling bin. A neat variety!

Here are the daily suggestions I used in our Advent calendar:





I will give a smile to all I meet today!
I will make a special effort to be kind to those I find it hard to like.
I will be joyful in my duties today!
I will try to show special love to someone who seems unhappy or lonely.
I will secretly do a kind act for someone today!
I will work extra hard on a chore or project today.
I will be kind in a special way to someone I do not like very much.
I will eat more healthy foods today, and fewer unhealthy foods!
I will donate toys and things to Good Will today!
I will read St. Francis's prayer of peace today, and then be an instrument of God's peace!
I will be satisfied with what I have today, and not ask for more.
I will honor Mary in a special way today, by being cheerful in all I do!
I will try to be more thoughtful of others today.
I will be patient today, and be willing to wait.
I will ask Mary to help me make room in my heart for her son, Jesus.
I will keep calm, and not lose my temper.
I will joyfully do some chores in my home, so that my family can rest.
I will pray silently today, only speaking when necessary.
I will not complain today, but instead will help my sibling joyfully.
I will thank God for all that is given to me today!
I will do a kind act for the members of my family today!
I will do my work well today, with joy for God.
I will speak kindly to all I meet today.
I will say an extra prayer today.
I will be helpful at home these last days before Jesus' birthday.
I will be grateful and thank God for all the food I have!
I will find a quiet place and sit for a while, just letting God love me!
I welcome Jesus with great love and offer him all the good acts I have performed and the prayers I have said during Advent.

No comments:

Post a Comment