Sunday, September 23, 2012

Late Summer ActivitiesBoth

A smattering of what we have been up to this late summer... It has been busy as all get out. Single parenting is not easy and frankly, it never all gets done. Things are so busy, I don't have much time to blog. Although blogging our school time is important because it reminds me of what we have accomplished! It is good to look back and remember. Generally, I just try to take pictures with the camera so I have a visual record, because frankly, I forget what we have done! Sometimes I download pics and am surprised!

Both kids starting viola lessons! Big Sis had several years of Suzuki violin from age 3 to 6 or 7 (don't ask what I was thinking!) and then explored piano, chorus, and other musical forms. Now she finds herself quite active in a civic chorale with great repute, and drawn back to the stringed instruments. Viola has a deeper tone and we found a wonderful teacher. Little Brother is also enamoured of the viola. He is a natural, picking it up quickly, and Big Sis has taken to viola easily as well, surprisingly falling back into it with ease despite the years away from strings! 
Lots of fun one weekend at the apple orchard and a small Native American and French traders rendezvous at the Fort Creve Coeur historical site.  http://www.ftcrevecoeur.org/ A great day of fun with friends, and the kids even ended up on the local news!
http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local/Fort-Creve-Coeur-holds-Annual-Fall-Gathering--169965496.html

We are staring IEW this month with a small co-op. I simply cannot say enough about this program. I won't even try! So far, the kids are loving it. So am I.

A review session and re-visit to the bees at North Branch Library. We spotted the queen bee this day!

The nature study never ends. I've had people ask what the flavor of our homeschool is, and I would have to say the time we spend in nature. 

A co-op day dissecting milkweed and making lapbooks. 

Little Brother is compelled by the Democratic National Convention. (Our house is under remodeling construction here btw!) He REALLY listened to the speakers and has been talking social politics ever since!

No comments:

Post a Comment