Wednesday, August 27, 2014

 Often, someone asks me to describe an unschooling day. I find that I have difficulty doing so, as it is so natural. The 'events' of the day do not seem especially noteworthy to me because they are old hat, so to speak. So today, I paid more attention and jotted down the things that Big Sister did during her day. I know I've missed a lot- but I got the things she did while I was nearby and paying attention.



Big Sister's Unschooling Day

Slept in til 9am, then researched on the internet searching for a good book on Otzi the Ice Mummy.She likes to take an hour or so to wake up, get dressed, care for reptiles, and catch up with friends through email.

Made cereal and milk for breakfast, and researched more about Otzi. Turns out there is a good Nova episode about the topic that she's like to order from the library.

She collected her partially sorted rock and fossil specimens from the living room carpet, putting each type into its own tub- this in part because I am tired of stepping on them! There are rocks all over my floor, which is fine with me, however last night I almost pierced myself with a selenite sample.

Then she read from a physical anthropology book called Written In Bones, and helped her brother design a board game- in particular making quick plot sketches and character cards.

Ate leftover brats for lunch at the table, giving the last bite to the very interested cats!

She wrote a nice book review about a Lewis & Clark adventure titled New Found Land, and then watched School House Rock Multiplication. She and her brother want to know what will help them succeed in college when they are ready to go. I pointed out that math is something we do not focus on in our home, so they can seek ways to learn math in preparation for college. Memorizing multiplication tables seems to make math problems go faster, so they decided on that for today. I also asked them to look at a curriculum I am considering purchasing for pre-algebra and algebra, to see if we can all tackle that together. They seem intrigued.

She took her bearded dragon out for some exercise on the basement family room floor.
Then wandered around the yard looking for monarch caterpillars on the milkweed. The cat escaped twice and had to be returned...

She concocted a homemade bug spray after getting bit by mosquitoes, then swang with her brother while discussing some stories the two of them are working on...then to the neighbor's house to care for Larry the cat. She cat sits frequently for several clients, caring for the cats, feeding, medicating, and doing special tasks that each client wants done, such as taking in mail, or watering gardens.
Later tonight, she plans to watch PBS's Nova and Nature programs, and will work on a 1000 piece puzzle.

She also spent some time making a file of her income and spending, much like a check book register. I will offer her an empty check book register to use later today and see if she wants to see more about how I do things. This is something both kids are quite familiar with since we all shop for groceries together! Or she might decide to keep her own system.

At some point, Big Sister snapped a shot of this wonderful dragonfly, remarking on it's amazing colors and features. These, of course, are only the things that I witnessed. So much more goes on. Also, we did not go anywhere today. We've been relaxing around the house, mostly. Other days we have field trips and outing.... each day can look quite different.

No comments:

Post a Comment