I understand that we midwesterners are often referred to as "Fly-overs" by those savvy folk of the east and west coasts.
When I first heard this, I was a bit insulted. What are we worth to others in our country? Apparently not much as we are not worth flying low enough even to view our corn, cattle and countryside.
And yet there is great honor and status in being one of our country's best kept secrets. Face it. Life in the midwest is better. Our economy is more stable, life is less expensive, less hectic. At one time, I wanted to be in the thick of it. Now I am happy to hide in the bramble. I like being a fly-over. Because frankly, we are having a blast here in the midwest! We have opera, symphonic music, the same movies that come out everywhere, and even the occasional goat roping! We really have it all here- but with less of the side affects.
This is a great place to raise your kids. It is a great place to leave when you are 19, and a great place to come back to when you are 29. You won't plan to stay... but you will. Because you like it here.
This is home.
No comments:
Post a Comment