Monday, December 7, 2009

Empathy Works

Not *works* as in doing to, but rather works as in it brings us closer in relationships of being with.

This morning, my prayers and intentions fresh in my mind, I was able to empathise with my children. The mood is already better, peaceful, cooperative, and friendly.

Little Brother said, at the breakfast table, "I dont know what to do to prepare myself for God. It's so hard." Whew! I thought, Shoot! I am pushing this Advent stuff too hard! But that was not really the case. As I listened more, Little Brother went on to say, "Its the TV. I feel like I am addicted to it, and all I do is complain that I want more TV. I dont play with my toys anymore... [tears welling up now] I complain all the time... This isnt preparing me for God to come!"

Wow.

I did insert a little bit of wisdom: "Little Brother, I think you ARE preparing yourself for God by apologizing yesterday, and understanding that TV is not helping. And God thinks you are preparing too!" We wiser parents do have a duty to reflect the truth.
Prayer Wall.
Little Brother was able to see that he prepared himself by eating healthy foods, exercising outside in the snow this morning, apologizing, and more. We wrote on the Prayer Wall in black magic marker, at Little Brother's request, "NO TV DEC '09" No tv for the rest of the month. Instant relief expressed itself in his face.

Then he drew some pictures to add to our Preparing for God jar.

In the meantime, Big Sis recalled the maxim she studied yesterday at COGS Atrium: Matthew 7:12 "Treat others as you would like to be treated." She remembered the verse, looked it up in the bible, and I helped her write this maxim down for the jar. She also added several things of her own.

Big Sis was also helpful in reassuring Little Brother that he is doing just fine! A great morning of coming together.

PS- It was very helpful for ME to be prepared. My house is clean, food is prepped, schoolwork is ready.... and I am fresh and ready. Ahhh...

No comments:

Post a Comment