Sunday, December 27, 2009

Two Things To Do On A Snowy Day

Without going outside.

This idea is from a friend. She put together a Waldorf-style station in her schoolroom where the childern might experience the smells and textures of different dried herbs and spices, then practice their sewing skills. Now sewing might not seem important, but my dad, who is a military guy, says that all soldiers need to be able to neatly sew on buttons, patches, insignia, etc. Sewing is a manly neccesity.

I went to the local health food store, which sells bulk herbs and bought:
Juniper berries, rose buds, chasteberries, lavender, licorice root, rosemary, whole nutmeg, and chamomile. The materials can be crushed in a mortar and pestal, grated with a fine grater, or simply squeezed between fingers. This makes a fragrant mix.

Then, using 80% wool-felt, cut out a shape for sewing (precut were circles, donkeys, mittens, stockings and trees), and stuff with cut up scrap felt and herbs. They make sweet ornaments or drawer sachets. I like using felt because there is no need to hem or turn over the edges after cutting, plus the texture is great to work with. Dont use the synthetic felt unless you have no other choice. I was able to find 80% wool, 20% synthetic at JoAn Fabric for roughly $10 a yard. But I only need one foot at a time as felt goes a long way on little projects. (Of course a foot is 12 inches by 30 or 40 inches) If you want, you can spend more money and get some really delicious hand felted materials. It might be worth the cost for the sensory experience!
I realize these children do not look all that happy. It is because I scared the bejeebers out of my son and he was crying hysterically. You see, I thought it would be fun to spruce up our usual smoothies with SNOW instead of ice. Big Sis ran outside and scooped up a pan of snow, which I liberally added to a very liquid fruit smoothie. Then a scoop of snow on top and talk about fun!
Unless, Little Brother learned that if you are stuck in the snow and becoming dehydrated you should not eat snow because you will die of hypothermia after getting frostbite on your tongue and in your mouth.

I guess that is why he was screaming, "NO MOMMIE! DONT PUT SNOW IN THE SMOOVIES! WE WILL ALL GET SPLINTERS!" Splinters, being his mixup of blisters, and blisters being his envisioning of frostbite in the mouth.

After we discussed, he agreed to a photo. Reluctantly. But he did like the smoothie quite a lot. :)
Fruit smoothies, blended with SNOW instead of ice, with a quickly melting snow ball on top!
OK. There is actually one more thing to do on a snow day- or evening. Watch a re-run of PBS's Mystery series Sherlock Holmes. I LOVE Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Holmes. I have read all the Conan Doyle stories, and find this series to be acurate both historically and in mood. Wonderful. That is what the kids and I were doing when the idea of Snow Smoothies came up in the first place!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-MPy13b2IA

No comments:

Post a Comment