Friday, January 29, 2010

Patron Saints Part I

Does this freak you out?
This relic is just the kind of thing that fureaks me out. And yet, I am also enraptured with it. I can hardly contain myself! THIS is St. Valentine's skull. (He was, in fact, beheaded.)


My family is having a very special day this Valentine's Day.

The children will be baptised and receive first communion, I will be confirmed and receive first communion, and my husband and my marriage will be validated- all within the Roman Catholic church.

By sheer chance, but with some sort of providence, the date for this event turns out to be February 14 - The feastday of St. Valentine.

Actually, St. Methodius and St. Cyril, brothers, have pre-empted this feastday. But everyone still knows that St. Valentine originally held this day. It is celebrated all over the world, even while the origins of his sainthood are unknown by many.

So I have posted a picture and a weblink for more info:



St. Valentine is not the person I would ever have chosen for my family's patron saint. But here he is- the option chosen for me by a far higher power than my own will.


No comments:

Post a Comment