Monday, January 25, 2010

What We Already Know...

For the next few weeks, we have a homeschool plan. We are not going to worry about learning anything new. Instead, we are going to enjoy what we already know.

I decided this plan today when the kids and I sat down to make some fun and easy mini-books inspired by http://makingbookswithchildren.blogspot.com/

As soon as a booklet was completed, the children, with no prompting at all, hunkered down and began to fill in their booklets with knowlege they already had in mind. It was wonderful. Each child could envision what the space of a specific book layout could hold.

Big Sis, remembering her work with modest but stylish clothing made a step book with illustrations of clothing options. We added this to her http://affiliate.purefashion.com/modesty folder.
I made a Chinese style bamboo scroll out of craft sticks and yarn. The coordination required to tie each stick in is a bit much for the younger kids. But once done, I added multiplication tables to each stick, as is illustrated in the book making site.
The scroll, as it should, rolls up into a small package!

Little Brother has been working on a lapbook for the past three days. He is tracing pictures from a book with tracing paper, and cutting out pictures or tracings to be glued to craft sticks for 'puppets'. The book he is refering to covers medieval soldiers, weapons and castles. Little Brother made a pocket for his puppets in the folder. I think this work will continue on...
Another project I would like to see Little Brother work on is a 'hotdog' fold booklet converted into a twelve sided standing booklet. Each double spread page will hold information for one month of the year. He can draw pictures of what the month looks like, record holidays and events.

I would like to get each child a large, flat box to place their booklet collections in. Because, honestly, where do you put all this stuff?! I think a keepsake box would be appropriate, and can be added to over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment