Yes, this monstrocity has a purpose. In case you could not tell, it is a Native American pueblo home, constructed of shoe boxes, papier mache', ground corn for texture and paint. Big Sis and Little Brother made this over the summer. In fact, I think it was two summers ago. Every few months, they get it out and play. I am bringing it upstairs to the Waldorf corner so the kids can use it to create a world.
Here is more 'Walforf' materials. Yes, I put it in a big, black plastic bin. Sorry, I am fresh out of lovely wooden storage units. Nevertheless, I think it works. In the bottom bin are oak blocks, smoothed and sanded with natural planetree branches cut into discs, blocks, logs and other forms. They can be made at home with a tree and a saw and a willing Grandpa who lives across the street. In the next bin you can see play fabrics of silk, cotton, flannel and wool felt. Each was chosen not for its printed pattern, but rather for its texture. One brown cotton is very textured and nubby, reminding me of freshly plowed soil. Wouldnt it be neat to add some courderoy! Also, a box of rocks, (No jokes please) many of which feature fossils, and some miniature pine trees.
Above that is some smooth sycamore bark, a wedge of fresh cut wood, catalpa bean pods, small acorns and seeds, mushroom birds and cattails, pinecones, a deer vertabrae...
And the top bin holds a 'house' made of an upturned basket, three gradiated sizes of terra cotta pots, a large mushroom bird, and two felt fairy dolls, made to look like American Indian women.
And here is the doll corner. They range from a sock monkey, to infant life-like dolls, woolfelt Underground Railroad dolls and more. A ceramic tea set is available, as well as a dresser, cradle, blankets and slings. This is a good morning's work.
No comments:
Post a Comment