Monday, July 5, 2010

End Of Official School Day

All in all, we did not really do much different during this 'official' school day than we do during an unschooling day.

I preached a little more. I made the flower research non-negotiable. But then everything after that was a natural flow that the children were inspired to follow on their own. All the other things they did today were extensions of their own inqueries and research.

I think of Tidal Unschooling and how once in a while, mom requests to wear the captain's hat. She gives some structured information, and then the children can grow from that. The kids were willing to let me lead for a while because they know they can have free time to pursue their interests. Hopefully, they also know that I can, on occasion, offer interesting and compelling tidbits that enrich their search for understanding this world.

Some unschoolers talk about Strewing. One way to strew enriching material is to put it physically in the home for the child to find. Another is to insert it into the relationship through talk and discussion. We are verbal folk here, and it is quite natural to talk about information!

All in all, this was a good day. I am glad I blogged about it so I can look back and see just what we can accomplish!

No comments:

Post a Comment