But that would get expensive! So on occasion we make veggie rolls at home. It goes over great with me and the kids. (Not so much DH.)
I pick up already prepared sushi rice at our second favorite place, Sushipopo, for $1.00 a pint. For that price, I refuse to get all the vinegar and cook actual rice. Its a real treat to have it made perfectly by someone else. At Sushigawa, the same rice is twice the price. I'm just sayin'.
We like simple veggies at our home, so I shaved a cucumber down with a veg peeler. Normally I also put avocado on our rolls, but I forgot to buy them! And I love mayonaisse on those veggie rolls too. Instead of Japanese mayo, I simply use regular mayo.
Here is how it went:
OK. They are not gorgeous. But they do alright. We certainly ate them up! I used a few tablespoons of miso soup and soy sauce for dip. But the kids like them plain.
Speaking of miso soup, I also made that as an appetiser this evening. I have tried the instant soups, but they usually have msg and are too expensive for a meal. This is how I make mine:

very briefly sautee young onions in olive oil
add 1 can of chicken stock
and 3 cups of water
1 full teaspoon of salt
1 sheet of nori (unless you can get kombu!), cut up into 1 inch strips
2 to 3 tablespoons dark red miso paste mixed in 1/2 cup of hot water, then poured into soup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
tofu, cut into small cubes
We each enjoyed a BIG bowl of miso about an hour before our maki. Its so filling and healthy.



No comments:
Post a Comment