We are in the midst of the longest growing time of the liturgical year. The color is green, and green is everywhere I look! With all the extra rain we have had this summer, the grass is knee-high a week after mowing, the trees are looking luscious and verdant, and the weeds along the creekline are weaving their way into the setting as well.
And as much as I love green and summer weather, I am craving a break from all the growing!
In order to break up this growing time a bit, the children and I discussed the idea of having a Little-Lent. And that led to a discussion of having a Little-Easter!
Now, every Sunday is a Little-Easter. It is the day that we recall to mind and heart the Easter Triduum in the Sacrifice of the Mass. Not only do we remember Jesus's Passion, Death and Glory but we actually- in a sense- relive it; a phenomenon known as anamnesis. (This looks like a great Intro to Anamnesis in the Eucharist article!) And so the children and I discussed how we could celebrate a Little-Easter every Sunday.
First, of course, we celebrate the mass, as much as Little Brother HATES to sit still for the excrutiating process. But what else? How about Easter eggs?! Since both children LOVE boiled eggs, we will endeavor to make boiled eggs for a Sunday breakfast, every Sunday. Since we often attend mass unfed, this is a good idea. And chocolate. We must have a miniature Easter basket with chocolate in it each Sunday. And I would like to add a new prayer card for each child's collection as well.
I know many families traditionally eat the same Sunday meal as well. Perhaps this is something we can impliment for our Little-Easter. If we know the same meal is coming every Sunday, it becomes a tradition that is looked forward to. How about a crockpot roast AND a dessert. This will make Sundays easier as we will also have Atrium every Sunday afternoon. Knowing dinner is ready for us when we get home sounds great.
There is something very comforting in routine and predictability. Even Einstein supposedly had clothing of only one make, color and style so that he would not waste precious energy on deciding what to wear each day. With some things already decided for us, we have room for exploration, creation, and learning!
And so back to Little-Lent. If we start now, we will be done by the end of September. And that gives us two full months before Advent begins. There is an abundance of growing time for us. So of course we will cut WAY back on screen time. And we can start decluttering in the house again. We need to donate some things to Good Will. I will put some more thought into the Little-Lent and see what the kids think. But screen time and decluttering are two priorities for me.
We need to empty our cup on occasion. I know that at certain points I am feeling full but not filled. Right now is one of those times- I am full of junk food and my brain craves finer nourishment. So I must purge myself, my environment, and lead the children in a purging as well. The TV has been off today and already books, games and toys are finding their way off the shelves!
One of the homilies a few weeks back was about little lents. I like the idea. We didn't go as far as you guys, of having several weeks, but we do fast on Fridays. I completely fast all day and the boys abstain from meat. We spend a lot more time talking about God and praying. It's really nice.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool that you fast on fridays. I have not been able to bring myself to do it!
ReplyDeleteI recently was thinking about ramadan and how muslims fast until sundown! that i might be able to do... just put off my meals until that evening! is your friday like that?