Believe it or not, I have too much pesto!
I still have a 1 1/2 cup jar in the fridge from earlier this week, and more basil is coming my way. I want to use up the jar I have and I can focus on freezing the next large batch. So I found this recipe, which got fantastic reviews from those who tried it:
•1 package active dry yeast
•2 tablespoon sugar
•1/4 cup warm water
•3/4 cup milk, heated in saucepan
•1/2 cup pesto
•2 to 3 cups flour
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/4 cup finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
•1 tablespoon melted butter
Preparation:
Combine yeast, sugar, water, and milk in a small bowl; mix well and let stand until bubbly, about 10 minutes. In a large mixer bowl, combine 1 cup flour and the salt; add yeast mixture, pesto and sun dried tomatoes. Beat until combined, then beat at medium speed for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
Cover dough and let rise until doubled, about 30-40 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heavily grease a 2 quart casserole dish with unsalted butter or solid shortening.
Stir down batter then pour into prepared pan. Let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove from pan and brush with melted butter; cool on wire rack until warm before slicing.
I will let you all know how it turns out! Of course, I dont have a mixer, so will make it all by hand. And I dont have sun dried tomatoes, either. And, I am debating the wisdom of using milk, since I dont use cow's milk anymore and soy wont be the same.
So really, I am just going to use this recipe for an idea. I envision a basic French loaf with pesto rolled into it. I am not sure what the point of a recipe is after all!
No comments:
Post a Comment