When we bought this house, we didnt think of it as permanent. Its only a two bedroom. We spent so many of our nights in the old FOUR bedroom house all sleeping in the same bed, that it didnt seem important to have separate bedrooms in this new house.
But the kids did use their old bedrooms for personal space, even if they didnt sleep in them much. Twice this week, Big Sister has wanted quiet time in the family bedroom to do crafts and listen to music. Little Brother seems to want it at the same time. (Why does this remind me of Anne Frank having to share her room with Mr. ??Dentist Guy??)
I have had a plan for a while. We have one VERY big bedroom that we are currently using as an office/school room. The plan is to divide that room in half and make two small bedrooms out of it. So here we go.
We need an overflow space in our small upstairs living area. So I have dismantled the tiny diningroom and made it into a library. The big table is in the basement playroom. We only use it for crafts anyway. We frequently eat on the porch table, or sitting on the floor. Yeah, I know. We are unconventional. The new library area is really nice, though. Six waist high bookshelves line the room, and one comfy chair- my grandmother's favorite- sits in the corner. I will have to exchange the light fixture, which hangs down right where your head should be when walking through the room. But I have wanted a small ceiling fan in that poorly ventilated room anyway. I think I can replace it for less than $50.00 and a favor from dad.
The bedroom will be divided by full sized bookcases, reinforced with some 2x4's to keep them from toppling. That will give us three bedrooms. Each will have a bed, a desk, a small bookshelf/toyshelf and a closet with a week's worth of clothes in an organizer.
The rest of the clothing will be in the laundry room along with the washer and dryer, and the shower that should be installed within the next two months.
I suspect that the kids' bedrooms will NOT be slept in. But its really OK. I enjoy family bed, and so do the kids. It works out really nice. But the kids need to be able to establish their own space when they desire. And finally, after two years of compromising, they will have it. No more fighting over the radio/cd player! We will have to buy another one. :)
Its funny, after moving to this tiny house, using so much space for bedrooms seems like a waste. Its hard to wrap my mind around the idea that over 50% of a house's floorspace would be used for sleeping. I much prefer the Japanese way of rolling up those sleeping mats into a closet so the sleeping space can be used for living during the day! Our expectations of privacy and space are so different here in the west!
oshiire
Washitsu
![]() |
| oshiire |

No comments:
Post a Comment