I was stunned into silence for about 1/2 of a second and then quickly realized that any pause on my part might decrease my chances of encouraging this cooperative and generous intent! I said, "Sure!" and Little Brother and I wrestled with the overflowing kitchen trash can.
Now, interestingly, something in the bottom of the can REALLY stunk. And Little Brother, who has always been sensitive to taste, smell, texture... noise, tone, slight breezes, and most other sensory realities, starts to wretch and gag at this point. So Big Sister came to the rescue, helping me tie up the bag and taking it down to the garbage can. Little Brother, after a small sensory-overload-panic, came back, grabbed the other, less smelly garbage bag and two cardboard pizza boxes and delivered them to the garbage can in the garage.
Honest to God, the boy just walked in and offered unsolicited help.
He is really growing up. Little Brother has always been conscious of the needs of others. But chores hasnt ever really been his thing. It seem so important that many of his actions are HIS idea. And that is fine. I work better that way too. A person who is generally compassionate is going to help out even when he doesnt really care to. I am so proud of this little boy. And I am proud of his sister as well.
All in all, I am pretty much the luckiest mama in the world. Somehow, someway, I ended up with the two best kids in the whole entire universe. Thank you God. That was truly quite a gift. :)
![]() |
| February 2005 ~ They are both a wee bit taller now... |

No comments:
Post a Comment