Friday, January 28, 2011

I Hear That Voice Again

The default recording in my brain wants me to say, "I'm just too darned sensitive for my own good."

I learned that little message- that voice in my head- all too well from childhood throughout the decades of my life. From my parents it was an apology, for myself- in my embarrassment- it became an excuse, and for friends and acquaintences, it became a fact. And yet, I dont know that its really true.

How can someone be TOO sensitive. I mean, its one thing to take everything personally. But to be intact with the sensory input around oneself? To notice things? This isnt bad. This is very, very good. Sensitivity is the antithesis to lethargy and apathy. Those who notice, make changes. We bring out truth, honesty and fairness.

Apparently, many people are offended by this.

I have a suspicion. I can only guess, and try not to be too self-centered and righteous in the process, but I think that many people are unwilling to do the work that goes along with being observant in life. They tune out their sensitivity because, frankly, if they notice something, they may feel compelled to deal with what they notice. They may have to deal with feelings of gratitude, or outrage, or cooperation, or reflection. And that is work. It takes effort and introspection, courage and empathy to work on perceiving the world deeply.

Beyond the work required to be deeply engaged with the world- to be sensitive to our universe- many people have been burned and scarred, rejected, or hurt. Some may not have the support or interaction to cope. Some may be suffering affluence and forgot that it matters.

I bet there are very good reasons that not everyone is engaged sensitively with the world. Some of the reasons may be emotional protection, not just unwillingness or ignorance.

I think of Thich Nhat Hanh who routinely uses the term "inter-are" rather than "are".  He says:

You are me, and I am you.

Isn't it obvious that we "inter-are"?
You cultivate the flower in yourself,
so that I will be beautiful.
I transform the garbage in myself,
so that you will not have to suffer.


I support you;
you support me.
I am in this world to offer you peace;
you are in this world to bring me joy.

You've got to be sensitive to life to be this poet; to understand the poem. It takes sensitivity to notice the garbage in oneself and transform it!

I guess TNH has filled in my empty space with a bit of a koan. I can take it from here. I am not too sensitive. I inter-am.

No comments:

Post a Comment