Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Day and Other Things

Today was a good day to read The Snowy Day, by Ezra Jack Keats.












The kids and I admired Keats' artwork- mixed media paints and collage work, and decided to make some of our own.

First I opened up some brown paper bags to make snowscapes. Then try painting some background. We noticed that snow in Keats' book was not just white, but all sorts of colors! Like purple, and magenta and even green! Then we used patterned scrapbook paper and magazine clippings to make collages of people. I think that I got into it more than the kids. But maybe they can go back and work some more on this project tomorrow. We will definately be snowed in with between 12 and 20 inches of snow!


Little Brother wanted a house for the kids to go into when they got cold!
Big Sister wanted a woodland scene. See the wolf and elk-type critter?
Everybody gets a nice red scarf in my snowscape.
We used a potato to carve a 'branch' stamp and made trees. I think they turned out really nice, and the kids even scrubbed the paint off the carpet when they were done. It was worth a little mess to be able to spread out on the floor. The canvases were nearly as big as the table!

In other news, Little Brother has been quite a Little Man lately, helping with chores and making lunch. Even if it is chicken nuggets! He actually OFFERED to make lunch this day, so no way am I going to be picky about his choices. He also gave each person a little cup of dressing and peeled some carrots. Mommie is so proud.


I love zuchini! The green vegies taste so good this time of year. And with my new trick of sauteeing in grape seed oil, the vegies taste even more fresh and delicious!



Ever the nature lover, Big Sister chats it up with a squirrel. She says he was mad at her because Squishy the cat was nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment