Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tuna Casserole and Snowdirt

Two discoveries were made today.

First, tuna casserole is easy to make from scratch.
Second, snowdirt exists.


A golden field of browned chips upon tuna casserole!

Believe it or not, I have never made tuna casserole before. I relied on Tuna Helper in years past and assumed that making good homemade tuna casserole was a mystery.

But recently, I have been using Aldi brand spatzle noodles (basically thick egg noodles) for different meals with great success. I figured, how hard can this tuna casserole thing be?

Apparently, not very hard at all. I simply boiled up two handsful of spatzle, and threw that in a casserole dish with a can of drained tuna, a can of cream o' miscellaneous soup, a cup of sour cream and a cup of cheddar cheese. After baking for 25 minutes, golden and bubbling, I crushed some Kitchen Cooked chips on the top.

Oh my! Good stuff!

Happy Tuna Noodle Girl!
Earlier today, Little Brother came in from an hour in the snow with his discovery. It was as if he had just arrived back from a Mars mission! In his hands was a pristine sample of snowdirt. Yes, dirt from the snow. I know. I could hardly believe it myself, as everyone knows the difficulty of actually collecting a true sample of snowdirt. But he did it.

Snowdirt
Thank goodness he never threw away that plastic jug I had been hassling him to pick up since early June. It was exactly what he needed for collecting his rare specimen. As you can see, Little Brother is extraordinarily proud of his discovery. So proud he felt strongly it should be stored in the fridge. I bartered for the porch and won.

And there is something about playing outside in the snow that makes little boys want to read afterward.


I just LOVE those pink cheeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment