Monday, February 14, 2011

Screen Free ~ Day Two

So far, things are going great!
Each child used their 30 minute coupon, and are discovering that if they work together, they can maximize their time! For some reason, they are choosing to watch the old 1980's GI Joe cartoon, the most idiotic, ignorant, ridiculous show ever to appear on TV, but since each episode is 20 minutes, they can get three episodes total with their coupons. Smart. Suddenly their time telling skills are sharp.

Today is the one year anniversary of our reception into the church. We went downtown to mass and it was beautiful. Fr. Bob, as usual, nearly brought me to tears with his very short homily. The man has a gift. After mass was over, Little Brother was sad because he wanted to stay. Mass was too short! I asked, "If we stay for a while, what do you want to do?" He replied "Pray, and pray, and pray!" LOL! I said we could pray at one of the many side altars, but what Little Brother wanted was to listen to Father pray. And in looking back during the mass, I realize that Little Brother was very attentive. Its helpful to sit up front where the kids can see what goes on at the altar. Since nobody sat in front of us, our view was unobstructed.

Afterward, we had lunch at Avanti's, and chatted. Then a trip to the park, where I dozed in the sunshine warmed car (I have a head cold that is wearing me out) and the kids played. Big Sister enjoyed the swing for a long time. I can remember swinging at that age, how lovely it was. And Little Brother ran around the play fort shooting everything. Bliss!

Then we stopped at a craft store to buy some balsa wood. Little Brother wants to carve something with his Swiss Army Knife. But balsa wood was crazy-expensive. We decided to carve soap instead, which was a great success. In the meantime, each child chose a model as a Valentine gift. In addition, we found a nice booklet in which we can collect the different quarters of each state. And I found three containers on clearance to be used for next year's Three Kings Day. I am eager to present the three gifts of Epiphany ~ Gold, Frankinsence and Myrrh. Fun!



At home again, the kids and I played outside in the melting snow (FIFTY DEGREES!), fed the birds, and then enjoyed watching the cats freak out over the visiting squirrels and cardinals. I took a lovely nap on the couch while the kids worked on their models and carved soap. And now we are enjoying a family movie night (Ponyo!) with homemade lasagna and caramel ricecakes. :) Later, before bedtime, we will light our baptismal candles and bless each other with the holy water saved from the children's actual baptism. What a treat!

White garments, baptismal candles, and foreheads wet with holy water from last year's baptism.


No comments:

Post a Comment