Today we are making camouflage cloth to drape ourselves with whenever we have the need to hide from some enemy soldier. Hey, it could happen. Dont you remember Red Dawn?
There is a cool technique I saw on a quilting show (dont laugh!) where you pound leaves against a fabric and stain the fabric with the leaf juices. Here is what ours is looking like so far...
![]() |
| Taping leaves on to a light colored fabric. Face up seems to work best for some reason. More color comes out the back of the leaf. |
![]() |
| Big Sister is trying hers on silk. |
![]() |
| A good flat hammer, like this rubber mallet, works great. But place some paper over the leaf or your mallet will turn green! |
![]() |
| A fall leaf on cotton flannel. Yes, it looks a little like poop smears. |
![]() |
| Fresh green hosta leaves are nice and bright on the silk fabric! |
I'd like to try some fall colored leaves as well, but the kids are very happy with what they have made. I guess Mommie needs to make her own!
After this process is done, it is recommended to cold set them, which doesnt make sense to me, and then dry set them in the drier.
I am hanging them to dry and then I will iron them inside out to try to set the color. I have had good luck with that in the past. Putting down paper underneath them will keep the grass stains from getting all over the ironing board.
I am hanging them to dry and then I will iron them inside out to try to set the color. I have had good luck with that in the past. Putting down paper underneath them will keep the grass stains from getting all over the ironing board.





No comments:
Post a Comment