Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Red Bean and Rice Flour Dumplings

Red bean paste in a refrigerated package, butter, water, and glutinous rice flour. No actual gluten added, just very sticky!
The dough is made by mixing about 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup water, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, and 2 cups of rice flour. Its a strange dough, very light and kind of like a fine shortbread or pie crust dough. It can be a tiny bit crumbly and fall apart as opposed to pasty like toothpaste. But it shouldnt be too crumbly. You can just tell as it comes together at the right consistency. Add more or less flour/water as needed.

Yes, as Big Sister mentioned, it looks like poop. Agreed. Make a ball of rice dough, and put a dollop of red bean paste in the middle. Slowly work the very soft dough around the bean paste and store on  waxed paper until ready to boil.

Perfect! My hands are slightly wet to keep the rice dough from sticking, but not too wet or the dough gets runny. Also, the bit of butter in the dough helps.

This is the second batch of uncooked dumplings. I was getting a little care-free with the bean paste!

I have not found any source that tells HOW LONG to boil the dumplings! One source simply said that when they float they are done. I treated them a bit like matzo balls and kept the water at a rolling boil. When the dumplings go in, they stick to the bottom, so after a few seconds, I gently detach them a spoon. Be careful not to break them open!
Sure enough, after about 7 minutes, I realized that the dumplings were floating! They did not take long at all before the outside was cooked and the bean paste was piping hot!

Oh! They turned out SO YUMMY! Very sweet, surprisingly, and a lovely texture. You are supposed to eat these in a syrupy soup, but I can't imagine adding any more sweetness! Maple flavor, would, however, go nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment