So, when I found this co-op a few years ago, I was cautious! As it turns out, the families involved are the coolest ever! Since it is secular, there is none of that 'best Christian' competition, and everyone there is just very down to earth. By the way, secular doesn't mean you can't have religion. It just means that we don't do religion AT co-op, nor do we use any religious currics or materials. I prefer this because too many homeschool curricula are factually inaccurate due to their religious take on things. I simply can't accept that all geologic phenomenon is a result of Noah's flood...
This past year, Little Brother had three subjects in his age group. One was Big History, that I taught and have blogged about. The other two were Speech and a second year of U. S. Civics.
![]() |
| Commercials and products for speech class |
The speech class was great fun! The kids did impromptu skits, instructional speeches, introduction speeches, and even produced a commercial on video. It was neat to see the kids, including Little Brother, become more confident as the year progressed. Shy, nervous speakers became polished and professional with the guidance of their teacher!
I think my favorite speech that Little Brother gave was about how to perform a karate move. He clearly knew his material and conveyed it in an easy-to-understand manner.
![]() |
| U. S. Civics |
In U. S. Civics, Little Brother completed his second year of instruction. The curriculum used was We the People, a frequently used program for public schools. Between this and delving into the world of Hamilton: An American Musical, the kids have learned a great appreciation for how our government works (or is supposed to!) and how we citizens play a part in it all.
![]() |
| Certificate of completion and final exam for U. S. Civics! |



No comments:
Post a Comment