| Introduction to the American rootbeer float at a local favorite drive-in! |
Making connections with people who are not like us is critical to the survival of our world. Two years ago, we did not know how isolated our country would become due to current National Embarrassment Trump. (I did not vote for him, and despise everything he stands for.) We were enjoying the wonderful Obama years where diversity was celebrated more than ever before in my life!
So it did not seem a stretch to host a teen from another country. But now, in retrospect, I understand how very important it was. We need to make our globe smaller and more open, not segregated and fearful. I'm glad my family had this experience when we did. I'm glad we have made friends from the other side of the world in a time when those friendships mean everything.
There is so much to blog about during our short, but life-changing four weeks together! So I will make a series of posts here.
The spoiler is that, despite living on a seriously tight budget, and despite never thinking it could happen for our family, Big Sister ends up traveling to Japan by herself the following year! This is the kind of awesome craziness that can happen when you speak a simple 'yes' to a request. Adventures follow and wonderful things happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment