Friday, February 5, 2010

Faith, Hope, Love



In what ways do you contemplate the Theological Virtues: Faith, Hope & Love (aka Charity)?


  • Sometimes, I contemplate each virtue by conjuring up the emotive feelings toward Christ that I experience. In Faith, I feel a sense of confidence through belief; not a smuggness, but rather a "whatever happens, and it might be ugly, I know God is with me" kind of confidence. For Hope, I actually feel excitement and a little shiver in my belly, thinking of how my relationship with God can come to be! And in Charitible Love, I think about seeing Christ in every person like Mother Theresa did, and I feel affection and concern for others.
  • Another contemplation I enjoy is to think about the painting above the altar at St. Joseph Church in Brimfield, IL. Blessed Mother Mary, Mary Magdalene and John are depicted below the crucifix. Mary becomes a figure of ultimate Faith for me to contemplate. She said "Yes" and held all things in her heart. She sits now with her Son and Lord in perfect Faith. Mary Magdalene, gazing up at the bloodied body of Christ exudes Hope even despite her fears and angst. To hope that even she can matter to God is inspiring. And St. John Loves Jesus as he stands dutifully by his Lord and assigned Mother. His love is mature, but innocent.

  • The most recent contemplation for the Theological Virtues I discovered in the prayer book: Prayers Before Holy Communion.
ACT OF FAITH
Lord Jesus Christ, I firmly believe that you are present in this Blessed Sacrament as true God and true Man, with your Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity. My Redeemer and my Judge, I adore your Divine Majesty together with the angels and saints. I believe, O Lord; increase my faith.
ACT OF HOPE
Good Jesus, in you alone I place all my hope. You are my salvation and my strength, the Source of all good. Through your mercy, through you Passion and Death, I hope to obtain the pardon of my sins, the grace of final perseveracne and a happy eternity.
ACT OF LOVE
Jesus, my God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things, because you are the one supreme Good and an infinitely pefect Being. You have given your life for me, a poor sinner, and in your mercy you have even offered yourself as food for my soul. My God, I love you. Inflame my heart so that I may love you more.
And one extra, while we are at it...

ACT OF CONTRITION
O my Savior, I am truly sorry for having offended you because you are infinitely good and sin displeases you. I detest all the sins of my life and I desire to atone for them. Through the merits of your Precious Blood, wash from my soul all stain of sin, so that, cleansed in body and soul, I may worthily approach the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.

No comments:

Post a Comment