Monday, October 11, 2010

Squash Soup!

Squash soup is not particularly photogenic. But it tastes good!
Tonight I made squash soup for dinner, and its really hitting the spot! Yum!

It was very easy to make. Two weeks ago, I roasted some vegies to go along with a pork roast. Of course I made too much and froze about four cups of leftovers. They were so well cooked that I knew they would not survive the freezer intact, but would be mushy. But that is perfect for what I wanted.

I tossed the thawed vegie mix in the blender, along with one can of chicken broth and about one cup of a prepared squash soup mix. I didnt actually have any squash in my vegies, but instead sweet potatoes and other things. The soup mix was too sweet on its own and lacked depth. But I bought it knowing I would add good stuff to it.

A little S&P, a little cumin, and one cup of heavy cream at the finish, and we have some DELICIOUS soup for dinner. Its REALLY good! I love autumn- soup season! The only thing missing is some good crusty French bread. This inspires me to get baking bread again.

Bread baking used to be part of my morning routine. I would whip up an artisan bread batter and stick it in the microwave. Yes, the microwave! lol! My microwave is an over-the-stove model, with a light that gets REALLY hot. So hot, in fact, that it heats up the inside of the microwave perfectly for rising bread dough. I would go take my shower, get dressed, and about the time i was done making coffee, the bread was ready to work with. (The artisan recipe takes very little kneading and leaves extra dough for the next day, and the next day...)

I know I feel my best when my kitchen is clean and functional. In my old home, I designed the kitchen. I took into account many things about the way I used the kitchen. I LOVED it. sigh.... This new kitchen is less than ideal, but it has everything I need. (Except more counter space). I am working on loving it as well. I want to be grateful for what I have, even though I am constantly reminded of the less than ideal reasons that I live here. That brings on sadness and regret. But I must make lemonaide of my lemons.

Squash soup might be just the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment